Monday, October 7, 2013

It is in Your Head!

All Tests Normal: 

If you have health problems and all tests come back normal it's easy to leave the doctor's office feeling crazy...like a crazy discouraged freak (at least that's what went through my head time after time). After several years of tests (incorrect lyme tests included) I began to wonder, "is it all in my head?" Then I'd feel a sharp pain down my back or a shooting pain down my arm. Very very real to me even though it was invisible to others. I began to wonder what other people thought. If my friends and family believed me. I had no proof that something was wrong until my body shut down...almost completely. 

I always found it humorous when a doctor would ask me, "So, are you feeling anxious?" I'd say, "well, yeah. anxious to find out what's wrong." In my head I was thinking why wouldn't I be anxious after being in incredible, invisible pain for years? Then the doctor would quickly reach for his samples of antidepressants and send me on my way. *Side note* With my illness I avoid antidepressants like the plague now. The withdrawals are absolutely terrible and doctors are very willing to up your dosage any time you want. Not a fan. 


It Actually is in my Head... 


Because my head holds my brain-yeah, a no brainer, I know. As we've learned more about neurological Lyme, we joke that some of the problems are LITERALLY in my head. The brain controls most every part of the body. My brain is definitely different than it was 7 years ago. It's infected with bacteria so I act totally different and feel outside of my own body. It's a very strange and often discouraging feeling. 

Saw a great website from a pic mom posted on FB. For those wondering if they have persistent Lyme or want peace of mind or brain :), here's some info that might help. Check out the site: BrainHealth The site lists early, mid and late symptoms of Lyme as well. 






Dr. Stoller, Chief of Hyperbaric Medicine for the Amen Clinics has been working with Lyme brain since the late 1990s. He says, “Lyme is often a serious, chronic illness that the medical community at large has misunderstood at best, and at worse unacknowledged”. How can doctors treat an illness if they don’t believe it exists? They can’t, which is why far too many people have been suffering with Lyme brain for far too long.

  • Common Neuropsychological Issues From Lyme Disease:
    • Impaired attention, focus, concentration, judgment and impulse control.
    • Impaired memory and speech functions.
    • Disorganization and getting lost.
    • Poor problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
    • Slower mental processing speed.
    • Symptoms similar to dementia and Alzheimer’s.
    70% of those afflicted with Lyme disease report changes in their thinking
    such as memory loss and reduced mental sharpness.
    I'm off all treatment now. My body couldn't handle it for now. I'll share more later. Thought this technical info might help someone. I have to remember that even though my brain is infected and I have neuro-emotional issues that I can't explain, God controls the brain. He knows every time my brain will bleep out. It's frustrating but encouraging to know that when I'm in my darkest moments, He understands what's going on in this hard head of mine.
    *Robin*





No comments:

Post a Comment