Thursday, October 31, 2013

Decorating on a Dime


Yes, I have Lyme disease. That means I can't hold a job so that also means that there isn't a lot of excess at the end of the month from Ken's paycheck. Ever since I could shop, which was when I was about 3 years old, I liked finding a good deal. Since I've gotten old enough to have an apartment it's opened up a whole new aisle at TjMaxx! The decor aisles! 

I don't want to waste money or my Lyme. I want to do as much as I can with the circumstances that God's given me. It's taken a lot of time to get things organized and decorated how I'd like them at our apartment. Gotta start somewhere though so we've been working little by little to make our house a home. I'm definitely no expert at budget decorating but do have a few tips to share.

Decorating on a Budget:

1. Look for what you have on hand FIRST! 

This is a step that I often forget. Over the years we accumulate stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. Look for picture frames, ribbon, fabric, candles, yarn, etc...

Look at my organized mess! I found some burlap ribbon in this box and it was perfect for the mason jars I wanted to use. I also had some of those rocks used for faux flower arrangements, some candles, and a figurine that my grandma gave us for our anniversary that works well on our "ledge". Keep reading to see the finished "budget project." :)




2. Borrow and share items from friends and family

I know everyone's situation is different but in some cases borrowing, sharing, and exchanging works. I'm borrowing the mason jars from my mom. I'm also borrowing some of the candles from her and fabric of course. My fabric container won't fit in our apartment so I store it there. You should see HER fabric collection! It over-flowith! 

I've seen fabric covered books on Pinterest so I thought I'd cover some of my books with pretty fabric! Pick different size books. I used 3 books with the biggest on the bottom and made a tower. 


Make sure your fabrics are large enough to wrap your books. I wrapped mine like a present. Just use some tape. That way you can re-read the book and re-use the fabric too! 




WALA! A fabric covered book tower that didn't cost a dime with a mason jar, rocks, ribbon and candles that didn't cost anything either. Pretty awesome huh?! Just get creative and go on Pinterest ;)

3. Buy pieces that can be used in other seasons. I like to get a "statement" piece. 

My statement piece for this project was a cool rustic bike ($12.99 from BigLots). I also bought some garland ($7.99 also from BigLots too) to use for many years to come. This is the first season I've been able to decorate so I'm gathering pieces for the future. Getting started is the hard part...especially with Lyme. But when the project is finished it makes you smile (well it does that to me). I just love nesting! The project cost $21.00 in total. What are your ideas for budget decorating? Do you use everything you have on hand? 









This project took me about a week to complete. I almost didn't try because it would take too long and too much energy to decorate. But I love decorating. So, I decided to take it at my Lyme pace. Don't waste your Lyme! Don't waste your money and definitely not your life!

*Robin 




No comments:

Post a Comment