Saturday, August 8, 2015

Easy Cumin Couscous with Sautéed Tomatoes


Hello friends. Hope your weekend is off to a good start! As far as food goes, this recipe isn't for the faint of heart. It has a lot of flavor.  It supposedly "raised the roof of Ken's mouth" (direct quote from Ken). :) 

I didn't grow up on couscous. Soy sauce, rice, meat and taters were staples at our house. China meets all-American is what Bobby Flay would "throw down" if he were our personal chef...in our dreams! Both of my parents and my grandma are excellent cooks which may be where I developed a love for cooking. 

Because I struggled with my health through college, it was hard to hold a job. So during the summers I'd have dinner ready for my parents when they got home. It was a great experience. I made mistakes, and still do. Although I wish I could have been working, I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn more about cooking during that time!

My dad encouraged us to try non-traditional food. "Don't knock it til you try it" was the motto. I'm glad he pushed us to try things we normally wouldn't. I have had couscous prior to this recipe but couldn't remember what it tasted like. I saw some raw couscous in our pantry and thought, why not try it again? If couscous is a "non-traditional" food for you, give the grain a fighting chance  or enjoy a different version of it with the recipe below! 


Easy Cumin Couscous with Sautéed Tomatoes


INGREDIENTS

For the Couscous
1 cup couscous 
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt 
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin

Sour Cream (optional)
Parsley finely chopped (optional)

For the Tomatoes
12-15 cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS

•    Prepare couscous according to package 
•    Add olive oil to couscous and stir so that no couscous is sticking to the pot 
•    Gently stir the next 4 ingredients into the couscous
•    In a small pan heat olive oil on medium-high heat 
•    Place tomato halves in heated pan 
•    Sautee tomatoes until tender (about 5 minutes) They should turn a darker shade of red and the
    edges will brown.  
•    Add the cooked tomatoes to couscous and stir until well combined (it is fine if you add the oil from
    the tomatoes to the couscous as well-it gives the dish a better texture

    Sprinkle couscous with parsley and serve with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy! 


If you have any questions about the recipe, leave me a comment and I'll do my best to help! 

Blessings! 
-Robin 


No comments:

Post a Comment